- Property Name
- Villa Vamos
- Property ID
- 3299 USD Weekly
- Sub Location
- Crete chania Prefecture
Villa Vamos is a unique contemporary villa in the heart of rural Crete with breath taking and unrivalled sea and mountain views. The villa is an individualistic, architect designed luxury property set in its own grounds extending to over 4,000sqm and located between the lovely villages of Vamos and Gavalahori in western Crete. It is a generous size of over 260sqm including private balconies.
• Car is necessary
• Explore the local villages of Vamos and Gavalahori on foot. The village of Vamos is only 1 ½ km from the villa and offers the traditional Greek mountain village experience. Over the past 20 years, the village has been transformed by enthusiastic locals, who formed a co-operative to promote the region and share their love of the village by offering an alternative to the busy tourist resorts. They have renovated much of the historical old village, opened cafes, tavernas and actively promote a thriving art and cultural hub. Whilst still a working village, Vamos offers a bank, pharmacy, bakers, a variety of craft shops and the local health centre. At the heart of the village is the square where the local characters take cover from the sun under the shade of the plane trees of the 19th century Kafenions where you will enjoy warm Cretan hospitality. The villa looks down the valley towards the sea and overlooks the beautiful village of Gavalachori some 1km away. Like Vamos, Gavalachori enjoys a rich history; much can be seen at the folklore museum where you will find many examples of pottery, stone cutting and the women’s co-operative selling handmade lace products. Just outside the village under the shade of plane trees are the 11th century Venetian stone wells and an earlier Roman Road.
• Venture a little further afield and discover mountain villages little touched by time or drive through the lush valleys and plateaus over the mountains and discover the wild south of the island with beautiful resorts like Loutro only a short boat trip away. Throughout the year, Cretans will find any excuse to break bread and enjoy the company of friends and family in local festivals. By far the most important religious festival is Easter when families will travel the world to return to their village, roast a whole sheep and greet each other with the cry ‘Christos Anesti’, Christ is risen. As well as other Saints days celebrations and Religious festivals, the region enjoys cultural fiestas with art, jazz and wine and food festivals all year round. We have a full calendar of events from regional and national events to a jazz club in a local village kafenion. Walking in the local area provides relatively easy routes where you can explore the local history, walking from village to village of the Apakoronas area. Gavalachori sits at 250m above sea level and enjoys beautiful cooling breezes throughout the year, but more difficult walks are best suited to early and late season, April and May and then September and October.
• There are two excellent gorge walks at Samaria and Imbros, but the whole island is covered in canyons across both the lefka Ori and Ida Mountains.
• At villa Vamos we can offer guides and suggest routes to those who wish to explore independently or we can also offer escorted walks taking advantage of shepherd’s trails to mountain villages. Additionally we can provide a taxi service to the start of walks and pick up later as many of the best walks are not circular. If you need a picnic or packed lunch, we can provide this too.
• For those adventurous trekkers who wish to climb a little higher and take on the rugged mountainous walks we can also recommend and introduce you to a local and very experienced guide.
• We have linked up with an excellent local tavern the owner Adriana will provide cookery lessons either in their kitchen our ours. Ariadne only ever uses local fresh and seasonal ingredients in all her recipes, as do most Greeks. If it’s not in season it’s not on the menu, no air miles from Kenya! Her modern twist on traditional recipes, make Ariadne one of the most innovative chefs in the region and she wants to share that experiences with you.
• Over the years we have met many fascinating locals, one of whom, Yiorgos wishes to share his vast knowledge of how to obtain free food through foraging. You will often see locals at the roadside picking wild grasses, vegetables and herbs known as horta and you can often find these wild offerings on the menu at the local tavernas. Once you have collected a handful of delicious wild offerings, your host will show you how to prepare and cook them so you can have a taste of true Crete.
• No matter what time of the year you visit this gorgeous island, there is much to capture on film and in digital format, whether it is the wild flowers in the spring or the kite surfers in summer. Whether you are a beginner or a respected amateur photographer, we can recommend places to go and those wishing to avail themselves of expert advice.
• The region is a Mecca for artists wishing to capture the local life or flora and fauna. There is an active art group that operate in the area known as KAG, The Kalmitsi Amygdali arts group who offer a full diary of events including annual festivals, concerts, exhibitions, workshops, film nights, talks, poetry readings and arts & craft fairs. They also offer music, painting and language courses.
The villa has 5 bedrooms, all with luxury en suite shower rooms and huge private balconies and the most stunning infinity pool with the most amazing sea views. The beautiful villa is contemporary in design and has a double atrium courtyard entrance leading to a large lounge with open fireplace and a wrap around balcony offering breath taking views of the sea and mountains. The dining area has a large walnut dining table that comfortably seats 10 and leads to a large patio and grass area that runs the full length of the house with seating for 12 people. The stunning contemporary open plan fully equipped kitchen also leads out onto the patio. The kitchen offers everything you will need and is of the highest quality with two large fridge freezers and a separate wine fridge, plus integrated oven, microwave and dishwasher.
On the ground floor there is a beautiful en suite bedroom with a large private balcony overlooking the pool area and the sea beyond. There is a ground floor toilet and cloakroom and in the basement, a laundry room.
On the first floor we have four spacious and elegant luxury bedrooms all equipped with King or super king size beds some of which can be configured to provide full size twin single beds. All the rooms have contemporary en-suite shower rooms. Each bedroom has a large private balcony meticulously designed so you can enjoy the breath taking views of the lefka Ori (White Mountains) or the panoramic sea views of Souda Bay. Each bedroom is colour themed and unique in style but all share generous proportions of nearly 30 sqm and are beautifully appointed. All the furniture and fittings have been carefully selected and sourced from Greece and the UK, making each room very special. Enjoy a glass of wine on your huge private balcony with their stunning views of the sea and mountains.
Each bedroom is equipped with:
• Air conditioning
• Egyptian cotton towels
• Egyptian cotton pool towels
• Crisp Egyptian cotton sheets and silk throws
• Contemporary glass sliding door wardrobes
• Secure safe
• Hair dryer
• ipod docking station
• luxury Toiletries
The orange room is romantic and French in style with views over the pool terrace and down the hill to nearby Gavalahori nestled in the valley some 1 km away with Souda Bay beyond. The beautiful spacious bedroom has a vaulted beamed ceiling, king size bed with crisp Egyptian cotton sheets, and luxury en-suite bathroom with walk-in waterfall shower. The shower room enjoys the same vaulted ceilings. Whilst the large patio doors allow the lovely mountain breeze into the bedroom we also provide air conditioning.
The Aubergine room is Moroccan in feel and enjoys views over the pool terrace, down the hill to nearby Gavalahori and dramatic Drapanos Mountain which in the evening is lit by the last rays of the sinking sun. The beautiful spacious bedroom has a vaulted beamed ceiling, super king size bed which can also be configured as two full size spacious singles with a luxury en-suite bathroom and walk-in waterfall shower. Whilst the large patio doors allow the lovely mountain breeze into the bedroom we also provide air conditioning.
The Teal room has a very contemporary feel with glass furniture and Venetian mirrors and enjoys amazing views down the hill to nearby Gavalahori and Souda bay beyond. The huge balcony affords the most dramatic views of the White Mountains some 10kms away but they feel close enough to reach out and touch. The beautiful spacious bedroom has a vaulted beamed ceiling, super king size bed which can also be configured as two full size spacious singles with a luxury en-suite bathroom and walk-in waterfall shower. The bedroom also had air conditioning.
The Mustard room is very contemporary in style with dramatic views over the pool terrace down the hill to nearby Gavalahori nestled in the valley some 1 km away, and Souda Bay beyond. The beautiful spacious bedroom has a vaulted beamed ceiling, king size bed with crisp white Egyptian sheets and a luxury en-suite bathroom with walk-in waterfall shower. The shower room enjoys the same vaulted ceilings. Whilst the large patio doors allow the lovely mountain breeze into the bedroom we also provide air conditioning for those sultry evenings.
The green room, on the ground floor has dramatic views from the huge patio doors of the pool terrace and down the hill to nearby Gavalahori and Souda Bay beyond. The beautiful spacious bedroom has a king size bed with crisp white Egyptian sheets and a luxury en-suite bathroom with walk-in waterfall shower. Whilst the huge patio doors allow the lovely mountain breeze into the bedroom we also provide air conditioning.
The stunning infinity pool and terraces offer the perfect place to top up your tan, or read a book in the shade. Luxury sun loungers and comfy chairs provide the perfect quiet, restful corner to sit with friends or retreat under the shade of a pergola. Set in its own grounds of over an acre, the villa provides the perfect antidote to modern life with its quiet setting whilst at the same time, being the perfect base for exploring the fascinating Chania and Apokoronas region. The villa has hard standing for more.